UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
DISTRICT OF KANSAS
Position Title: Chief Deputy Clerk (Type II) – Vacancy # KC 20 – 4
Location: Kansas City, KS
Closes: Open until filled; preference given to applications received by June 12, 2020
Salary Range: $128,100 – $181,500* (JSP 15/1 – 16/10)
*Starting salary commensurate with qualifications, experience, and education.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we value diversity in our workforce.
The Clerk of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas is accepting applications for the position of Chief Deputy Clerk. The Chief Deputy Clerk (Chief Deputy) is a senior-level management position reporting directly to the Clerk of Court (Clerk). The Chief Deputy works with the Clerk to provide leadership, management and supervision of the Clerk’s Office, including primary oversight of the Court’s operational functions. In the absence of the Clerk, the Chief Deputy assumes the functions and responsibilities of the Clerk.
There are three staffed offices in the district: Kansas City, Topeka, and Wichita. The Clerk’s Office supports 15 district and magistrate judges across the district.
- Directly supervises departmental managers and other staff and provides leadership through coaching, mentoring, training, and facilitating constructive communication;
- Analyzes and interprets trends, statistics, and patterns to help the court anticipate challenges and manage effectively for growth and change;
- Proposes, develops, communicates, and evaluates policies and procedures to enhance the productivity and effectiveness of the court;
- Develops effective working relationships with judges and with appropriate individuals at the Administrative Office, the Federal Judicial Center, other federal courts and, government agencies;
- Promotes and maintains the integrity of official records in the custody of the court;
- Works with members of the bar and the public to improve the delivery of court services;
- Provides direction in preparing and managing the annual budget;
- Analyzes and makes recommendations on statutes, local rules, and procedures affecting the operations of the court;
- Manages the timeline and preparations for publication of the local rules;
- Coordinates judges’ meetings and Bench-Bar meetings, helps to establish an agenda, attends meetings, and prepares minutes;
- Travels to Topeka and Wichita for occasional meetings with judges and staff;
- Performs other duties, as may be requested by Judges or the Clerk.
To qualify for the position of Chief Deputy Clerk, applicants must have a minimum of six years of progressively responsible administrative, professional, investigative, technical or other responsible work that provided an opportunity to gain:
1) a knowledge of management practices and administrative processes;
2) skill in dealing with others in person‐to‐person work relationships;
3) the ability to exercise mature judgment.
At least three of the six years of experience (specialized experience) must have been in a position of substantial administrative, supervisory, or managerial responsibility, where the incumbent can demonstrate effective leadership and employee relations expertise. One year of the experience must have been at, or equivalent to, the next lower grade in federal service.
Education above the high school level in accredited institutions may be substituted for the general experience based on one academic year equals nine months of experience. Completion of one academic year of graduate study in an accredited university in such fields as business or public administration, political science, criminal justice, law, management, or related field, may be substituted for one year of specialized experience. Completion of a master’s degree or two years of graduate study in areas of business or public administration, political science, criminal justice, law, or related field, or completion of a Juris Doctor (J.D.) may be substituted for two years of specialized experience.
Federal or state court experience at a decision-making level; experience in court highly desirable. General understanding of court operations and administration, with the ability to successfully lead with vision, the ability to sustain a high level of organizational excellence, the ability to articulate management priorities, and the ability to foster strong and effective working relationships.
This is a full-time position that is eligible for the Federal Judiciary’s comprehensive benefits package which includes ten paid federal holidays, annual and sick leave, health and life insurance, dental and vision insurance, retirement plan, tax-deferred and/or Roth Thrift Savings Plan, flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care and long-term care insurance.
To apply for this position, please submit the following items combined into a single, pdf document:
1) a cover letter,
2) a resume, and
*Current District of Kansas employees do not need to submit the AO 78 application form.
- Complete applications should be submitted by email to: HR@ksd.uscourts.gov
- The Application for Employment form is available on the Court=s website under the Forms/Employment tabs. Please note that there are separate forms for PC and Mac users.
- PLEASE NOTE: The subject line of the e-mail must include both the position title (Chief Deputy Clerk) and the position number (KC 20-4).
*** THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ***
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement or to withdraw the job announcement, any of which actions may occur without any prior written notice. This position is subject to ongoing mandatory favorable background checks. The U.S. Courts require employees to adhere to a Code of Ethics and Conduct. Due to the volume of applications received, the Court may only communicate to those individuals who will be interviewed for open positions. Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid. Applicants must be United States citizens or eligible to work for the United States Government.