UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
Position Title: Division Manager – Vacancy #KC 20 – 8
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Opening Date: July 24, 2020
Closes: Open until filled; preference given to applications received by August 7
Salary Range: CPS CL 28/1- CL 30/25 ($61,984 – $108,904) *Starting salary is commensurate with qualifications, experience, and based upon Court Personnel System (CPS) guidelines. Advanced in step placement up to $141,583 may be available for exceptionally qualified candidates or current or prior federal employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we value diversity in our workforce.
The Division Manager oversees the operations of the Kansas City Clerk=s Office, with a staff of 15 who provide support to the two resident district judges, two senior judges, two magistrate judges, and visiting judges from the Topeka and Wichita courthouses. This position reports directly to the Chief Deputy and the Clerk of Court.
- Helps develop, implement, evaluate and refine office policy and procedure.
- Acts as the primary liaison to the judges and their staff, other government agencies, attorneys and the public.
- Responsible for the quality and quantity of the work performed, assuring efficient and effective operations by directing and reviewing work distribution, evaluating work performance and developing staff.
- Plans and organizes court events at the Kansas City courthouse and other locations in the district.
- Oversees local space and facilities matters.
- A high school diploma plus three years of general experience,
- Two years of specialized experience, including at least one year equivalent to work at the CL-27;
- Have specialized experience that includes progressively responsible administrative, technical, professional, supervisory or managerial experience that provided an opportunity to gain:
- Skill in developing the interpersonal work relationships needed to lead a team of employees,
- The ability to exercise mature judgment, and
- Knowledge of the basic concepts, principles, and theories of management and the ability to understand the managerial policies applicable to the court unit
- Have at least one year of experience at or equivalent to the next level below the level appointed
Applicants must also have:
- excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- proven leadership skills;
- thorough knowledge of the basic concepts, principles, and theories of management and the ability to understand the managerial policies applicable to the court unit;
- excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and the ability to interact with a wide variety of people tactfully and courteously;
- ability to manage, develop and mentor staff including establishing standards, assigning and reviewing work, conducting performance evaluations, and handling disciplinary actions;
- attention to detail and accuracy of work product;
- strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple assignments with frequent interruptions;
- professional demeanor and strong work ethic;
- ability to conduct effective staff meetings, keep management informed, and respond to requests from upper management; and
- ability to plan, manage and successfully execute ceremonies and events.
- Preferred A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a related field.
- 13 days paid vacation for each of the first three years
- 20 days paid vacation after three years, 26 days after 15 years
- 13 days paid sick leave
- 10 paid holidays
- Choice of healthcare coverage, including dental & vision coverage
- Life insurance options
- Participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System
- Participation in the Thrift Savings Plan (tax deferred retirement savings plan)
- Participation in the Long Term Care Insurance plan
- Participation in the Flexible Benefits Program
- Free parking
- Free onsite fitness center
Internal Applicants: To apply for this position, please submit the following items:
1) cover letter outlining why you want this position, your leadership style and why you believe your experience and skills would make you successful in this position; and
2) detailed resume that includes a full educational and professional background.
External Applicants: To apply for this position, submit the following items combined into a single, pdf document:
1) a cover letter,
2) a resume, and
- Complete applications should be submitted by email to: HR@ksd.uscourts.gov
- The Application for Employment form is available on the Courts website under the Forms/Employment tabs. Please note that there are separate forms for PC and Mac users.
- PLEASE NOTE: The subject line of the e-mail must include both the position title (Division Manager) and the position number (KC 20 – 8).
*** THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ***
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement or to withdraw the job announcement, any of which actions may occur without any prior written notice. This position is subject to ongoing mandatory favorable background checks. The U.S. Courts require employees to adhere to a Code of Ethics and Conduct. Due to the volume of applications received, the Court may only communicate to those individuals who will be interviewed for open positions. Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid. Applicants must be United States citizens or eligible to work for the United States Government.