UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
Position Title: Court Operations Specialist – Vacancy #KC 20-14
Location: Kansas City, Kansas
Opening Date: August 31, 2020
Closes: Open until filled; preference given to applications received by September 25, 2020
Salary Range: $36,688 – $53,443 (CL 24/1 – 25/25) *Starting salary is commensurate with qualifications, experience, and based upon Court Personnel System (CPS) guidelines. Advanced in step placement up to $69,508 may be available for exceptionally qualified candidates or current or prior federal employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we value diversity in our workforce.
The Court Operations Specialist is responsible for maintaining and processing case information and managing the progression of cases from opening to final disposition, in accordance with federal and local rules and procedures.
The Court Operations Specialist performs docketing tasks, issues notices, maintains official case records, monitors the completion of procedural steps, prepares case documents for appeal and performs quality control checks on court filings.
The clerk’s office staff works closely as a team and shares various office responsibilities such as answering phone calls, assisting customers at the counter, assisting internal court customers, processing mail and payments. In addition, special projects may be assigned as needed.
General Experience: Must be a high school graduate and have performed at least two years of progressively responsible clerical, office or other work that indicates the possession of, or the ability to acquire, the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. Some or all of the two years of required general experience may be substituted with education above the high school level.
Specialized Experience: Specialized experience is progressively responsible clerical or administrative requiring the regular and recurring application of procedures that demonstrate the ability to apply a body of rules, regulations, directives or laws. It involves the routine use of specialized terminology and automated software and equipment for word processing, data entry or report generation. Educational substitution is not available for specialized experience. If hired at a grade lower than CL 25, promotion potential exists up to grade CL 25 without further competition. The length and complexity of a candidate’s work experience dictates the pay grade for which he or she is eligible, as detailed below:
CL 24 ($37,544 to $61,051) – One year of specialized experience equivalent to grade 23 required.
CL 25 ($41,471 to $67,426) – One year of specialized experience equivalent to grade 24 required.
The successful applicant will have:
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to deal with a wide variety of people tactfully and courteously;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple assignments with frequent interruptions;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the desire to work in a fast-paced, team environment;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use sound judgment;
- Professional demeanor and strong work ethic;
- Excellent computer skills and ability to work with a variety of programs and applications.
- 13 days paid vacation for each of the first three years
- 20 days paid vacation after three years, 26 days after 15 years
- 13 days paid sick leave
- 10 paid holidays
- Choice of healthcare coverage, including dental & vision coverage
- Life insurance options
- Participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System
- Participation in the Thrift Savings Plan (tax deferred retirement savings plan)
- Participation in the Long Term Care Insurance plan
- Participation in the Flexible Benefits Program
- Free parking
- Free onsite fitness center
To apply for this position, please submit the following items combined into a single, pdf document:
1) a cover letter,
2) a resume, and
*current District of Kansas employees do not need to submit the AO 78 application form.
- Complete applications should be submitted by email to: HR@ksd.uscourts.gov
- The Application for Employment form is available on the Court=s website under the Forms/Employment tabs. Please note that there are separate forms for PC and Mac users.
- PLEASE NOTE: The subject line of the e-mail must include both the position title Court Operations Specialist and the position number (KC 20-14).
*** THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ***
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement or to withdraw the job announcement, any of which actions may occur without any prior written notice. This position is subject to ongoing mandatory favorable background checks. The U.S. Courts require employees to adhere to a Code of Ethics and Conduct. Due to the volume of applications received, the Court may only communicate to those individuals who will be interviewed for open positions. Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid. Applicants must be United States citizens or eligible to work for the United States Government.