Position Title: Director of Administrative Services – Vacancy # A21 – 10
Location: Kansas City, Topeka, or Wichita, Kansas
Closes: Open until filled; preference given to applications received by 9/3/2021
Salary Range: $102,449 – $129,382 (CL 31/1 – 31/25) *Starting salary up to $168,217 (CL 31/61) for exceptionally qualified candidates or prior federal employees
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we value diversity in our workforce.
The Director of Administrative Services is a senior-level, professional, managerial position responsible for overseeing the management of the consolidated services for the U.S. District Court and the U.S. Probation Office for the District of Kansas. The incumbent is responsible for the supervision, oversight, and successful operation of information technology, finance and budget, procurement, human resources, space and facilities, and security/emergency preparedness. This position reports directly to the Clerk of Court. Travel to divisional offices, as well as travel for nationally held court-related meetings is required.
- Manage assigned functional areas including information technology, finance and budget, procurement, human resources, space and facilities, and security/emergency preparedness.
- Direct, develop, and mentor supervisory staff involved in administrative service activities. Provide direction to the team, conduct staff meetings, provide relevant information, and delegate projects and work fairly and consistently.
- Manage the annual budget in a decentralized budgeting environment and remain current on program requirements, updates, and changes. Advise managers, unit executives, and judges on staffing, costs and cost projections, and related issues.
- Oversee procurement activities and ensure compliance with procurement rules and regulations.
- Oversee the information technology department, including automation training, coordination, and integration of office automation equipment, telecommunications, and courtroom technology.
- Oversee human resources programs, including benefits administration, payroll, classification and compensation, position management, performance management, and staffing. Counsel supervisors and employees in employee relations issues.
- Oversee the development of strategic training plans that align with the court’s goals and mission. Provide advice and recommendations to managers, unit executives, and judges on training needs. Evaluate and measure the overall training initiatives and make recommendations to meet unit goals and objectives.
- Interpret and apply appropriate statutes, rules and operating procedures, including the Guide to Judiciary Policy and local internal policies and controls.
At least three years of progressively responsible administrative, technical, professional, supervisory or managerial experience that provided an opportunity to gain skill in developing the interpersonal work relationships needed to lead a team of employees; the ability to exercise mature judgment; and, thorough knowledge of the basic concepts, principles, and theories of management and the ability to understand the managerial policies applicable to the court. Preference will be given to individuals with an advanced degree in management or a related field.
- 13 days paid vacation for each of the first three years
- 20 days paid vacation after three years, 26 days after 15 years
- 13 days paid sick leave
- 11 paid holidays
- Choice of healthcare coverage, including dental & vision coverage
- Life insurance options
- Participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System
- Participation in the Thrift Savings Plan (tax deferred retirement savings plan)
- Participation in the Long Term Care Insurance plan
- Participation in the Flexible Benefits Program
- Free parking
- Free onsite fitness center
To apply for this position, please submit the following items combined into a single, pdf document:
1) a cover letter,
2) a resume, and
*current District of Kansas employees do not need to submit the AO 78 application form.
- Complete applications should be submitted by email to: HR@ksd.uscourts.gov
- The Application for Employment form is available on the Court’s website under the Forms/Employment tabs. Please note that there are separate forms for PC and Mac users.
- PLEASE NOTE: The subject line of the e-mail must include both the position title (Director of Administrative Services) and the position number (A21-10).
*** THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ***
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement or to withdraw the job announcement, any of which actions may occur without any prior written notice. This position is subject to ongoing mandatory favorable background checks. The U.S. Courts require employees to adhere to a Code of Ethics and Conduct. Due to the volume of applications received, the Court may only communicate to those individuals who will be interviewed for open positions. Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid. Applicants must be United States citizens or eligible to work for the United States Government.