UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
Position Title: Term Law Clerk to U.S. District Judge Broomes (two years) – Vacancy #W 21-14
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Starting Date: August or September 2023
Position Closes: Applications must be received by February 25, 2022
Interviews will be conducted in Spring 2022
Salary Range: JSP 11 – 13*
*$64,649 – $92,143 depending on experience, with potential up to $119,787 with prior federal experience
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we value diversity in our workforce.
The term law clerk duties include extensive legal research and writing, drafting of orders and opinions on a variety of motions in both criminal and civil cases, assisting the judge during courtroom proceedings, and case management responsibilities.
- Legal research, writing, and drafting orders and opinions
- Communicating with counsel regarding case management and procedural requirements
- Docketing orders
- Scheduling hearings and conferences
- Assisting judge during courtroom proceedings
- Various legal and administrative duties as assigned
- Be a graduate of an ABA-accredited law school with strong academic credentials (top 20%)
- Be a member of the bar of any state (applicants who intend to sit for the bar exam will be considered)
- Law Review or other noteworthy journal experience preferred
- Possess superior research and writing skills, exhibit strong analytical ability and interpersonal skills
- Show good judgment, initiative, and the ability to work independently and to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Preference will be given to candidates who have ties to the State of Kansas (please note this in the cover letter if not evident from resume)
For appointment at a JSP grade 11, step 1 ($64,649), applicants must meet the mandatory position qualifications.
For appointment at a JSP grade 12, step 1 ($77,488), applicants must meet the qualification for a JSP grade 11 and possess one year of full-time legal work experience after graduation from law school (no substitutions permitted) AND be a member of the bar of any state.
For appointment at a JSP grade 13, step 1 ($92,143), applicants must meet the qualification for a JSP grade 12 and possess two years of full-time legal work experience after graduation from law school (no substitutions permitted).
- 11+ paid holidays
- Choice of healthcare coverage, including dental & vision coverage
- Life insurance options
- Participation in the Long-Term Care Insurance plan
- Participation in the Flexible Benefits Program
- Free parking
- Free onsite fitness center
To apply for this position, please submit the following items combined into one single pdf by email to HR:
- cover letter with GPA and class standing,
- a chronological resume,
- law school transcripts (official or unofficial and must include Fall 2021 grades if a current student),
- a writing sample, and
- a Federal Judicial Branch Application for Employment.
**Application packages not received in PDF format may be considered incomplete.
Complete applications should be submitted by email to: HR@ksd.uscourts.gov
*** THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ***
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement or to withdraw the job announcement, any of which actions may occur without any prior written notice. This position is subject to ongoing mandatory favorable background checks. The U.S. Courts require employees to adhere to a Code of Ethics and Conduct. Due to the volume of applications received, the Court may only communicate to those individuals who will be interviewed for open positions. Travel and relocation expenses will not be paid. Applicants must be United States citizens or eligible to work for the United States Government.