Self Represented Litigants

Welcome to the District of Kansas Self Representation Center

This site has been designed to teach you what it means to represent yourself in a civil lawsuit and how to file your civil lawsuit in the United States District Court for the District of Kansas. Please take some time to become familiar with our Self Representation Center. You will find the tools you need to file your case and represent yourself in a lawsuit.

What is Self Representation?

You have the right to file a case without an attorney’s help. This is known as “representing yourself” or “proceeding pro se.” If you are representing yourself, the judge will still expect you to state your complaints clearly, to meet all of your deadlines and follow the rules. If you choose to represent yourself, it is very important that you learn how to file your case in federal court. This web site will assist you so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not you should represent yourself. If you decide to do so, this website will take you step by step through the procedures for filing your case, and will help you to manage your case after it has been filed.


Resource Materials

ADA Accommodations

If you have a disability and need special accommodations during your visit to our courthouse, please contact your local clerk’s office. Click here to read more about our Services to Persons with Communication Disabilities.


Local Rule 16.3 governs mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution in this district

List of court-approved mediators

Have you completed mediation or ADR?  Click here to complete the ADR report form.

Questions? Email

Helpful Links


Find a Lawyer

There are several ways that you can find a lawyer. Ask for a lawyer referral from Bar Associations, community agencies, friends, employers, religious advisers, teachers and people you trust.

When you first meet with a lawyer, it is important that you talk about paying for services and get the payment plan in writing. This is often called a “fee agreement.” If you see an ad that says a lawyer “specializes” in an area of law, this means they have more training and experience in that area of law.

Kansas Bar Association

Kansas Legal Service
785- 233-2068 or 1-800-723-6953
TDD#: 785- 233-4028

Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association

Wichita Bar Association
316-263-2251, extension 103

Resources for Seniors

Legal Guidance Pamphlets

Discrimination and Equal Employment Opportunity Laws

Legal Research Links


U.S. Federal Court District of Kansas


U.S. Federal Court District of Kansas